Thursday 7 April 2011

Week 7 Directed Study - The Grid

Exercise 1: Completed grid layouts from class.
Grid Layout 1:


























Grid Layout 2:




































Further Exercises: Two pages article.
Page 1:                                                                    


Page 2:


Final Article:




Exercise 2: Exercise with "breaking the grid" and evaluation of your work.
Step One: Experimenting with braking the grid and colour.


Step 2: Experimenting with braking the grid.
 Step 3: Experimenting with random "braking the grid", type, font and colour.

 Final Article:














First of all I was experimenting with how I was going to structure my whole page article. After I researched though different magazines articles and video tutorials in the internet, on how you can "break the grid" and have more understanding of how you can do that, I started to "play" in InDesign with type, font, shape and colour.
When I decided where I am going to place my image, then I place the title of the article to the bottom of the image. The reason I placed my image on top is because it creates nice contrast and balance on the whole page. Also this kind of structure article can be seen into web pages. For the article and the title I used just the "arial" font, which is clear and clean. After that I took a quote from the article and made it big and bold, and then I broke a little bit the grid. 
Furthermore I made the first phrase of the article in bold and with bigger fonts, so the reader can understand from the beginning what the article will be about.
Finally I chose another quote from the reading from the right side of the page and I break the grid one more time for more structure and rhythm.
I fully understood how the grid is working and how you can brake it. As soon as you understand the meaning of grid then you can be even more create to your work.


Exercise 3: Locate 2 grid layout case studies and evaluate on the whole design.


This is an example of a simple grid layout. The designer is following step by step the grid layout rules. He uses a little bit creativity with title and I would say is a nice one. Its simple and knit. 









Here are 3 examples, that the designer is "braking the grid". If you know how to do it, then  is way better that the simple form. The grid now provides rhythm, balance, and structure. I really liked the third one because the designer user more colour and also he uses vertical typography.  


Reference: http://designhanna.blogspot.com/2010/02/grid-exercise.html
http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/customer-media/product-gallery/1592531253
http://www.dzobel.com/blog/archives/17


No comments:

Post a Comment